What is B.Sc Nutrition and Dietetics?
B.Sc or Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics is a full time 3-years under-graduate course which is further divided into six semesters. This course basically covers about nutrition and dietetics science and gives all the components to maintain healthy eating habits, prepare healthy diets, food management, components of a balanced diet & lifestyle management among others.
Candidate must have cleared 10+2 examination with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English as compulsory subjects preferably with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks or above from the respective college.
Some colleges also accept any one of Botany, Zoology, Biotechnology or Biochemistry in place of Biology at 10+2 level.
• A keen interest in health and diet
• Knowledge of people from varied backgrounds
• Organizational abilities
• Teamwork ability and aptitude for nutrition and dietetics and
• Strong communicational skills
Syllabus for B.Sc Nutrition and Dietetics course
Semester-I you will study subjects like-
• Food and Nutrition
• Food chemistry
• Human Physiology
• Soft skills and communication skills
Semester – II
• Human nutrition
• Mother & child health
• Nutritional Biochemistry
• Public health & nutrition
Semester – III
• Food microbiology
• Food quality analysis
• Food industry management and
• Family meal and diet planning
Semester – IV
• Introduction to food science
• Introduction to food preservation
• Science of bakery and confectionery
Semester – V
• Food packaging and marketing management
• Food processing operations and management
• Introduction to Dietetics
• Nutritional ethics
• Dietetics 2
• Diet and patient counseling
• Food Biotechnology and
• Foodservice management
How to get Admission in B.Sc Nutrition and Dietetics Course?
Aspiring candidates can get admission in B.Sc Nutrition and Dietetics course by any of the two ways adopted by various government and private institutes.
By direct admission process
By Entrance exam
Some institutes may give weightage to both the qualifying exam scores and entrance exam scores to provide admission to this course.
• University of Mumbai, Mumbai
• Dr. Ambedkar Govt. Arts College, Chennai
• Muthurangam government arts college, Vellore, Tamil Nadu
• Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
• Lovely Professional University- LPU, Jalandhar
• Parul University, Vadodara
• IGNOU-Indira Gandhi National Open University, Delhi etc.
Fee structure of B.Sc Nutrition & Dietetics course?
The average course fees may range from Rs. 50,000/- to Rs. 2,50,000/- in government colleges and in private colleges the course fees are around Rs. 3,00,000/- to Rs. 4,50,000/-
The B.Sc. course fees may vary based on the university offering the course and also depending on the facilities and infrastructure offered by them.
Career Prospects and Job Opportunities
B.Sc Nutrition and Dietetics course graduates have plenty of job opportunities in both public sector as well as private sector like
• Clinics and Hospitals
• Private nursing homes etc.
One can also go for further higher studies such as- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in the relevant field and go for teaching in the institutes providing this and related courses.
Some of the popular job profiles offered to B.Sc Nutrition and Dietetics course are:
• Clinical Dietician
• Marketing Manager
• Research and Development Manager
• Food Quality Inspector and
• Food Processing Manager
Pay Packages and Salary prospects?
A fresher graduate can expect to get somewhere near Rs. 3 Lakh to Rs. 4.5 per annum and on the other side an experienced can expect to get upto Rs. 8 Lakh to Rs. 10 Lakhs approx.
#bscnutritionanddietetics #targetstudy #bscnutritionanddieteticssyllabus